If the idea of rehiring former employees who quit seems
When you work for M&S you become part of an incredible, diverse family of colleagues. Working at M&S isn’t just a job; it’s special. You’re joining a business and a brand that has stood the test of time and is a place we all feel proud to be a part of.
We have recognised that this connection never stops, even when you move on. As we continue to accelerate our transformation and cultural change, staying connected has never been more important. That’s why we’ve launched our online alumni network – M&S Family – so our colleagues can connect, share their stories, hear about jobs and the latest M&S news, participate in exclusive events and much more.
About the role
As our Community Manager you will be responsible for making sure we build an engaging, inspiring, and genuine community of colleagues for life who can – in turn – support our business transformation. You will need to constantly innovate, grow, nurture and fully own the platform. You will do this by driving awareness, ensuring excellent user experience and tracking and reporting on the platform’s success to senior stakeholders.
Core to your role is ensuring that alumni members:
- Former colleagues feel part of the family with access to M&S news – general content, curated content, bespoke content
- Help them connect and network with each other
- Provide a platform for them to share their skills through access to jobs & opportunities to mentor / get involved in community
In doing this our alumni can help us drive our transformation forward through:
- Building a talent pool and, in time, a network of mentors
- Potential to build network of mentors
- Create a community of brand & business advocates who can help us to develop future products and services
- Add to our network of volunteers who support Plan A
How you’ll do this
Producing and publishing engaging and relevant content for our alumni and continuing the drumbeat to grow the family to be as big as it can be, as the bigger the gang the bigger the impact. You will join the Corporate Communications team to ensure that all aspects of the alumni network are aligned with the wider communications strategy – internal and external – and business strategy and values. As a team, we keep it simple and put our colleagues (family) first.
We have only scratched the surface when it comes to tapping into the enormous opportunity and enthusiasm that lies within our vast M&S family. We welcome creative thinking and an ‘Own it and get it done’ attitude to fulfil the following accountabilities:
Platform and Attraction:
- Strategic thinking to drive and maintain awareness of the alumni platform through internal and external communication
- Consistently build general user uptake into the platform, including review and identification of further opportunities to broaden our reach to meet key targets
Content & Communications management:
- Liaise with key stakeholders to deliver regular, relevant, and engaging content and communications for the platform
- Ensure content and communications align to the business master brand/tone of voice, and are delivered within agreed budgets and timeframes
- Organise, facilitate and follow up regular live events with key stakeholders
- Plan and maintain a relevant content and communications stream
- Track platform performance and adjust approach as required, in line with business targets and objective
Data & Digital
- Provide the business with platform uptake metrics and user insight to inform the business strategy
- Troubleshoot user enquiries and resolve in an efficient and timely manner
- Provide platform & technical training to key stakeholders when necessary
- Demonstrate the commercial value of the platform
User Experience Development
- Ongoing management of the Enterprise Alumni relationship
- Responsible for user experience, platform development and new software launches and for upskilling colleagues where appropriate
Optimising the value of the network
- Work with stakeholders across the business, including our Sponsor – Katie Bickerstaffe – and key areas such as HR and Marketing, to continually review how we can utilise the Network to help us develop products and services, grow our mentor network, hire great people – the list goes on.
To be able to manage our Alumni network, you will need to be a high energy individual with a creative flair and a tenacious, self-starter attitude, who is not afraid to push boundaries and can work autonomously.
It is also important that you can demonstrate:
- Capability of working with third-party platform management, colleague, and/or corporate communications and content creation
- End to end project management and tenacity in making sure the network is front of mind for colleagues
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills as the role demands you deal with important stakeholders at all levels
- An innate interest in content creation and communications
- Ability to establish, sustain and leverage strong, on-going stakeholder relationships
- Comfortable with building external networks to consistently gain quality content
- Effective at internal and external communication, negotiation, and supportive feedback skills
- Understand the commercial imperative and being able to turn it into action
- Capabilities of business-wide delivery of effective solutions